What is in it for you?
There are more topics for this meeting than just the demonstration/talk I promised.
- TBA – a highly rated program I looked into (got 4.5 – 4.9 out of 5.0) that would seem to fit my clients needs and maybe our desires too. Up to date and runs on many operating systems. I will be asking your opinions at the meeting first rather than on line.
- Learn more about membership benefits
- More control over how you use your computer
- Trust, Privacy and ease of use are being brought up or help requested. It use to be somewhat manual to set up but I have only started to look into this for more polished and modern applications.
- Anyone still interested in help with installation or planning lets talk. The main kind of install, would require the least risk is a one blank hard drive install. (backups done or not needed) We can not call it anything like an install fest yet.
- Some possibilities: Linux Mint (4 flavors), Linux flavored Solydxk rolling Debian LTS based on Stable, Debian Stretch for those up to it. My virtualbox got to kernel v 4.9.0 with aptitude safe-upgrade without seeming to break Stretch.
- And three versions of Solus Linux including Gnome,plus KDE will be arriving soon.
How easy has the Linux workstation/laptop become for personal and networking use?
Last month, if you remember, I showed something NOT to do for those that noticed the kernel panic from booting an incompatible Multi-boot Live-usb.
Until you try it out in real life I do not see how to answer this. So I plan to bring along a small example of my improved experience to the meeting to show. Your mileage may very.
- With so many hardware installs to play with I found ways to break and fix booting up. Legacy mbr boots and GPT uEFI
- To get there (OS and setup) I found I had to chose my path very carefully to save on time.
On top of this I will try out an advanced game demo that used to be overly complicated to set up.
My demonstration is using lesser hardware in the way of an older laptop with only 4GB RAM but it is lighter to carry and does the job ok ish :)
- Flightgear has been around for quit a while and is becoming more capable and polished. But in the past it was a bear to setup at all. A demonstration will have to be a small subset of the possibilities in the interest of time. But even difficult tasks are far easier to accomplish now. My demo is based on one of the two modern distributions that seem capable
- The point is to show how much it has improved along with Linux but I will not say is any easier to learn how to fly. For that you will want to get qualified instruction unless all you are concerned with is where do I reset the simulator?.
Public are welcome!
Time: 17:00 – 19:30
The Library closes at 20:00 (8:00 PM)
Place: Central Library
- Meeting Place: Central Library, Basement Rm 2
- Street address: 616 Macleod Trail S.E.
- Calgary AB T2G 2M2 (refer to map below)
26 max at tables, more single chairs can be set up if required