[Clug-tech] Kontact, global address books and dist lists

Shawn sgrover at open2space.com
Sat Nov 25 19:36:43 PST 2006

I have not worked with Kolab to that extent, but did get Kontact to
recognize my "global" address list on the kolab server.

If this is the only reason for going to kolab, then may I offer you
another alternative...

vTiger.

vTiger is a CRM package (much like SugarCRM), based on MySQL and PHP.
They have extensions for Outlook, and Thunderbird (not sure about
KMail...).  I was able to export my address book from Thunderbird into
vTiger easily enough.  The contacts then have an "owner" of my user
account but this can be changed to be a group.  Contacts in vTiger can
be imported into ThunderChicken as well, I'm not clear (yet) though if
it will only import contacts with your user as the owner or if it will
do all contacts in groups you belong to.  If the later, this could be a
very easy way to managing global contacts.

Just a thought.

Shawn