[clug-talk] WD Green HDD's with ZFS

Royce Souther osgnuru at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 19:00:42 PDT 2012

I have a few file servers that I am using Western Digiatl Green HDD's with
LVM. I am not using RAID1 because that would burn out a Green drive very
quickly. My servers are identical clones of each other and I like that
better then RAID1 because if a power supply dies the other server keeps the
work going until I can get the dead one fixed.

I one big issue with LVM is having to unmount the file system to resize the
partition. Every time I add a drive and grow the system it takes longer and
longer to go through the steps of fsck'ing the partiion and then resizing
it. It takes most of a day now to do this. ZFS does not have this problem.
As I understand it ZFS is able to resize the file system on the fly.
Mirrored Vdev would be like using RAID1 and that would kill a Green drive
but just using a ZFS to have the abilty to grow the FS on the file would be
good enough and should not hurt the Green drives. Does anyone know if using
ZFS not using mirror would be safe to use on drives like these?

--
Easy, fast GUI development.
http://PerlQt.wikidot.com