[clug-talk] SAMBA issue

Shawn sgrover at open2space.com
Mon Mar 19 19:30:58 PDT 2012

I'm having a weird problem with my Samba setup.

I can get things to a point where I can mount the samba shares on my
workstation.  Read/Write and everything works.  I even have this
automated to happen on boot up and this works.  Sometimes.

Occasionally the system refuses to mount the shares automatically on
boot.  When I try to mount them manually I get told "permission denied".
  I *know* I didn't change my password between mounting attempts.  I
have no errors in /var/log/samba/log.smbd.

To resolve this I have two options - either reboot the computer and go
through the whole process again (which may or may not work). OR, I can
go through an "smbpasswd -r myserver" process to change my password to
something else and again to change it back.  Mounting after the password
change resolves the problem for a while.

Is AppArmor getting in the way?  Is there something else I've
overlooked?  Thanks for any tips.