[clug-talk] Could this be the year?

Greg Saunders greg at taord.com
Tue Jun 16 15:56:28 PDT 2009

I've been a lurker on this list for a few years and this is my first post
(maybe second) ... so please forgive me in advance :-)

I've been using Linux since 1998, I've deployed 100s of servers and dozens
(and dozens) of workstations running Linux, built embedded devices and
appliances with the O/S ... I just love it but that being said, this will
not be the year of Linux on the desktop.

Don't take any of this personally but (in my opinion) Linux advocacy is more
of a meager resistance movement than a revolution. Linux is a better O/S and
technologically superior in more ways than there is space to list but on the
desktop ... it's not revolutionary ... just a resistance. Microsoft employs
the MacDonald's philosophy, you don't expect a 5 star restaurant (you set
your expectations low before you even order), you get what you pay for and
you can get nearly the same poor quality on 6 continents ... but you expect
that in advance.

Linux has to become a revolution ... not a pathetic resistance to the
MacDonald's of the software world.

Now I know this is not true in other places, Europe as an example, but they
never treated Linux like a resistance there ... they threw out the old and
started fresh with the new, a coup d'etat ... not something we're used to
doing in North America.

Ciao,
Greg