[clug-talk] EEE's in Calgary

Juan Alberto Cirez jacirez at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 11:56:10 PDT 2009

Ah, my poor Linux-Fundamentalist Shawn,

You remind me of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad insisting the Iranian elections
have been free and clear when there was overwhelming proof to the
contrary...Or Comical Ali (Muhammad Saeed al-Sahhaf) insisting the city
of Baghdad  is free of foreign troops while a column of coalition tanks
rolls through the city...

We are consumer economy--what that means is that regardless of a given
brand marketing budget, it is the consumer who ultimately decides if a
product succeeds or fails. Consumers were (and are) returning
Linux-based Netbooks (for whatever reason). That is a fact.

Any manufacturer and/or retailer is in business to make money; so if
there is a product the consumer wants, they will offer it. If the issue
with Linux on the Netbook was a localized phenomenon (and there was a
consumer demand for it), I assure you, other manufactures would step in
to fill the void. This has not what happened--in fact, the reverse is true.

You can argue all you want, that is your prerogative; but that does not
change the fact that Linux had some serious issues capturing the
consumers' heart (and wallet). The philosophy that there is nothing
wrong with Linux on the desktop (its the rest of the world that's wrong)
will be Linux undoing. We have to get our heads out of our collective
rears and address these issues. Listen to the consumers and deliver the
product they want because whatever we are doing right now, it's not
doing the trick.

Shawn wrote:

> As was mentioned in THAT thread, the lack of Linux availability on
> netbooks today (via retail chains) has nothing to do with usability,
> and EVERYTHING to do with marketing clout (aka monopoly powers).

Juan Alberto Cirez
    CFAA/CFAT, AFSA/CFAT-CFET,CIPS/ISP, ASTTBC/CFET, CHI(e)
Sr. Field Service Technician/Project Manager
J. A. Cirez Integrated Technologies, Inc
Fire Protection | IT Services | Security | Home Inspections | Consulting
Tel. : (780)972-4739
Fax  : (780)747-6078
Email: jacintech at gmail.com
Web  : http://www.jacintech.com