[clug-talk] Got a new camera

John Jardine john_e_jardine at spamcop.net
Fri Jul 17 09:57:33 PDT 2009

Sweet!

When I bought a Lumix FZ50 a couple of years ago I did a *little*
research.  It worked but was slow.  I wound up getting a small USB SD
card-reader - it's much faster than reading directly from the camera
itself.

When I plug the camera in directly and do a lsusb I get:
> jardine at mywhim:~/workspace/MsgServer/Debug$ lsusb
> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
> Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
> Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
> Bus 003 Device 002: ID 046d:c404 Logitech, Inc. TrackMan Wheel
> Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
> Bus 002 Device 002: ID 04da:2372 Panasonic (Matsushita) Lumix DMC-FZ10 Camera
> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

Interestingly the camera appears to be a USB 1.1 device.  When I take
the chip out of the camera and put it into the USB SD card-reader it is
USB 2.0 and is *much* faster.

I bought a laptop with a built-in SD reader a few months after the
camera and now use that.  Many netbooks have SD slots as well - can be
very handy.

YMMV,
J.J.