[clug-talk] Semi-OT: AppleScript Editor

Ian Bruseker ian.bruseker at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 16:57:27 PDT 2009

2009/4/30 Ian Bruseker <ian.bruseker at gmail.com>

> I'm starting to wonder if my assumption on them being plain text is
> incorrect.  I just did a little googling and found references to "compiling"
> AppleScript files.  I'm wondering if that's what you have is the compiled
> output.  This page talks about being able to save the script output in
> various formats, including plain text:
>

> http://developer.apple.com/documentation/applescript/conceptual/applescriptx/Concepts/work_with_as.html
>
> Maybe you just need to get back onto one of those Macs and try to do a Save
> As in Script Editor and save it out in a different format.  Then you could
> edit it in any editor.
>
> Ian

Replying to myself...
I just tried it on my PowerBook.  A file saved in .scpt is definitely a
compiled version.  I just opened up the Script Editor and pasted in the
example from the web page above (the one that counts files in the
Applications folder).  Then I dropped to the terminal and tried "less
testing.scpt".  Definite garble.  Then I went back into the editor and did
Save As, and there is an option for text format, which saves it with a
.applescript format.  That's definitely plain text.  And it even gives the
option of choosing your line endings (Unix (LF), Mac (CR) or Windows
(CRLF)).  To answer Chris' question on if it's a third format, yes, it is.
 Always has been.

So, go back to the Mac and save the file as a .applescript and then your
Windows people can modify it.

Ian