[clug-talk] Semi-OT: AppleScript Editor

Ian Bruseker ian.bruseker at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 09:02:06 PDT 2009

2009/4/29 TekBudda <tekbudda at gmail.com>

> ILYA Khlopotov wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> You can try SciTE -  free source code editor for Win32 and X.
>> It supports a lot of languages including AppleScript.
>> It doesn't require installation and can work from USB stick.
>>

> I have tried all of the options suggested & nothing seems to fit the
> bill...and I had such high hopes for SciTE...oh well!
>
> I did check thru the extensions & such, but couldn't see anything directly
> related to *.scpt or AppleScript...unless I missed something somewhere.
>
> Thanks all for everyones help...and if there are anymore suggestions.
>

> How about you buy everyone Macs?  ;-)

More seriously, what is the actual end requirement?  You mention that you
need to edit two lines in the file.  Always the same two lines?  What two
lines?  What are you changing?

What I'm getting at is, do you really need a full blown editor on every
machine that lets a user see AppleScript in pretty code colours?
AppleScript is just text like any other script, so I'm guessing that's what
you're looking for.  I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess you need
to change something in that file each time that's machine specific like the
IP or MAC of the given machine.  So, why not write a script or very simple
program that asks the user for the two things that need changing, and then
within the code of the program or by calling out to another program like
sed, you do the modification for them?  Or if it's something like finding
the IP or MAC address, why not automate it entirely by having your
script/program deduce that information and modify the AppleScript
accordingly?  Yes, scripts writing scripts.  The end is near.

Just thoughts.  I'd be interested to know more about the end goal.

Ian