[clug-talk] Google Analytics is very cool web site tracking tool

Shawn sgrover at open2space.com
Mon Apr 27 11:52:42 PDT 2009

I haven't dived into this area yet mainly because I have access to my
raw server logs and can run webalizer/awstats/analog/etc. on them to get
mostly the same information.

However, I recently saw reference to Piwiki (http://piwik.org/) - an
open source alternative to Google Analytics where you get to control
where/when the collected data is accessed.  I mean you set up, manage,
and control the database where the collected info resides.  I like this
option better than giving my data to Google.

Google is "mostly harmless" in the Open Source world, but I really don't
like letting someone else hold *my* data in a place where I have no
control what they do with it.  Google may become evil one day, or just
use my data in a way I don't want.  That goes for any organization
though - not just Google... :)

My thoughts.

Shawn