[clug-talk] OT: Backing up webmail WAS: Strange KMail behaviour

Mark Carlson carlsonmark at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 09:30:07 PDT 2009

If you want to make sure you always have a copy (to the best of your
backup abilities, anyway,) then yes, you need to download your mail.

http://archiveteam.org/index.php?title=Deathwatch

Especially in this and upcoming years, backing things up from online
services is important to do.  Among those that are closing or have
closed with no or little notice:
- Geocities (!)
- AOL Hometown
- Tripod
- Yahoo Briefcase
- Filefront.com (1.5M files, 48TB, gone)
- AOL Pictures
- TOTSE

So yes, backup your stuff.  They have no obligation to do it for you
(other than their reputation, which doesn't last.)

-Mark C.

P.S. I'm one to talk, of course... I still haven't backed up my GMail
in 4 years... I really should get on that.  Thanks for the reminder!