[clug-talk] OT: Backing up webmail WAS: Strange KMail behaviour

Mark Carlson carlsonmark at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 09:30:07 PDT 2009

If you want to make sure you always have a copy (to the best of your
backup abilities, anyway,) then yes, you need to download your mail.

Especially in this and upcoming years, backing things up from online
services is important to do.  Among those that are closing or have
closed with no or little notice:
- Geocities (!)
- AOL Hometown
- Tripod
- Yahoo Briefcase
- Filefront.com (1.5M files, 48TB, gone)
- AOL Pictures

So yes, backup your stuff.  They have no obligation to do it for you
(other than their reputation, which doesn't last.)

-Mark C.

P.S. I'm one to talk, of course... I still haven't backed up my GMail
in 4 years... I really should get on that.  Thanks for the reminder!