[clug-talk] Undelete program

Shawn sgrover at open2space.com
Sat Apr 18 01:21:20 PDT 2009

I would ask yourself how much that data is worth to you.

If the answer to that question is more than a few hundred, or thousand
dollars, then DO NOT attempt a recovery yourself.  In this case, I would
suggest to do as little as possible with the drive - unplug it out
right.  Then ship it to a professional data recovery shop - such as CBL
- and let them do the work for you.

Attempting to recover the data yourself could end up overwriting
sections of the drive that you may contain parts of the old data -
making that data impossible / very difficult (aka very expensive) to
recover.

So, the recommended approach is that as soon as a drive reaches a point
where data recovery of this sort may be needed, halt all possible
activity on that drive to (hopefully) preserve a better chance of
getting the original data back.

If however you find your data isn't really worth all that much, but
represents a minor convenience, you by all means you can try recovering
the drive yourself.  In this case I would suggest using dd to grab a
snapshot of the drive (to a still larger drive) as a file.  Now you can
mount that file as if it were a drive and analyze it directly - without
touching the original drive.  You may get lucky and discover that only
the inodes have been reset - which means the original data is still
there, just lacking pointers to it.  This is getting pretty low level
into understanding file systems and drives though... good experience,
but maybe a bit tooo much work.

HTH.

Shawn