[clug-talk] Hello, Hello, Hello

ILYA Khlopotov ilya.khlopotov at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 12:00:01 PDT 2009

Hi Dan,

You can try to create squashfs image for you root file system. This is
readonly filesystem that is used to create live CDs. Then you can
combine it with you customized read-write image of you root file
system on external usb stick or whatever with unionfs.  I did it with
ubuntu but it should work for “easy peasey” as well.
To summarize all of the above you can make next steps:
1. Install default system
2. Create an squashfs image of you default installation without /home
/proc /sys /media /live
3. Save this image into /live/images/
4. Copy casper from downloaded iso image of you distro (in my case it
was ubuntu)
     #mount -o loop /path/to/image/ubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386.iso /cdrom
     #cp -R /cdrom/.disk/ /live/
     #cp /cdrom/casper/vmlinuz /live/casper/vmlinuz
     #cp /cdrom/casper/initrd.gz /live/casper/initrd.gz
 5. Create read-only entry in /boot/grub/menu.lst
 6. Auto-mount unionfs you can use either /etc/fstab or pam_script or pam_mount

There are some tiny hacks to make it working
1. You entry in /boot/grub/menu.lst should looks like
     title		Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.27-11-generic (Read-Only)
     uuid		a5c0a8ff-4cf6-4e0a-9511-cc8344ef71f3
     kernel		/live/casper/vmlinuz
root=UUID=a5c0a8ff-4cf6-4e0a-9511-cc8344ef71f3 ro boot=casper I
live-media=/live/ ro quiet splash
     initrd		/live/casper/initrd.gz
     quiet
You can try to use official kernel from /boot directory but your
initrd.gz  must have casper entity.

2. To create squashfs you can use commands bellow.
OLDIMAGE=`ls -l /live/casper/filesystem.squashfs | cut -d" " -f10`
NEWIMAGE=/live/images/root-`date +%F`.squashfs
MOUNTPOINT=/cdrom
mksquashfs / $NEWIMAGE -noappend \
    -e /media \
    -e /home \
    -e /proc \
    -e /sys \
    -e /live/images
# Try to mount it
mount -o loop -t squashfs $NEWIMAGE $MOUNTPOINT

P.S. Sorry for my English.

Best regards,
ILYA