[clug-talk] running a remote process

John Jardine john_e_jardine at spamcop.net
Wed Apr 8 09:43:00 PDT 2009

This might be a bit low-tech, but if this is machine 'A' that is
executing 20 (or so) commands determined by machine 'B' one thing you
could do is:
Create a script on 'B'
Create a cron job on 'A' that pulls the script from 'B' and executes it.

There are some downsides - you need to ensure that nobody can monkey
with the script on 'B'.

You need to make sure that no other machine can impersonate 'B'.

An alternate approach is Expect.  I've used this as a hammer a few times
and it has always nailed the problem.  Low points for elegance though
(hey - it is a hammer right?)