[clug-talk] Is there a userspace hosts solution?

Gustin Johnson gustin at echostar.ca
Tue Apr 7 14:07:17 PDT 2009

Royce Souther wrote:
> This is not a userspace solution. I don't have root control over the
> host systems only the guest OS and the user account that is running the
> Vmware image.

Without knowing what you are trying to do I am just firing blind here.
Are you trying to get DNS resolution within the private host only
network so that the VMs in the host only network can connect to each
other via hostname?

If the number of hosts is small I would consider /etc/hosts or lmhosts
for windows machines.  For something larger perhaps it makes sense to
run bind on one of the VMs.

Perhaps running dynamic DNS server in your little lab network might be
the answer.  There are clients for Linux, Mac, and Windows and the
servers can be run under Linux.

Since you don't have admin access to the VMWare host. it might be best
to just ignore it and have a VM that you can bend to your needs.

Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)