[clug-talk] VPN name resolution question

Shawn sgrover at open2space.com
Tue Apr 7 13:23:48 PDT 2009

Royce's question regarding name resolution triggered a neuron for me...

When I establish a VPN connection to a remote network, I need name
resolution to work for servers there.  At the moment the only way to do
this seems to be to change my /etc/resolv.conf file to use their
nameserver.  But that means that all name requests are now going through
their network - even for things that have nothing to do with their network.

I have set up a script to establish the VPN connection, backup my
resolv.conf file and replace it with one that has the remote name
server.  But there's probably a better way.

Any tips?