[clug-talk] Is there a userspace hosts solution?

simon at mungewell.org simon at mungewell.org
Tue Apr 7 13:04:24 PDT 2009

Hi Roy and all,
Are you trying to get the client machine to resolve all names for the
other clients machines?

There appears to be some 'magic' regarding DNS which can be performed in
the dns.conf file (vmware claims to support standard dhcp.conf options)

see:
http://www.virtuatopia.com/index.php/VMware_Server_2.0_DHCP_Configuration#Configuring_the_VMware_Server_DHCP_Server_on_Linux_Hosts
http://linux.die.net/man/5/dhcpd.conf

In this way there should be no need to tinker with the guest OS(es) as
dhclient should handle it all automatically.

Cheers,
Simon.