[clug-talk] Is there a userspace hosts solution?

Royce Souther osgnuru at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 12:19:24 PDT 2009

I want to automate a name resolution for VMware systems users run with
host-only networking. VMware has it's own DHCP server internally for this.
The best solution would be to have the guest OS boot and request an IP then
write that to a plain text file in the users home directory using the VM
share directory feature. I tried to store the IP in a file called .hosts
file in the users home directory but I have never see this done before and I
tried it and could not get any programs to honor the file.

Is there a userspace name resolution solution that does not involve using a
sudo script to modify the /etc/hosts file?

--
http://www.Radados.org