[clug-talk] Video Chat?

John Greep john at johngreep.com
Sat Apr 4 08:51:16 PDT 2009

I've been reading Alan Cooper's book: "The Inmates are Running the Assylum"
[http://www.cooper.com/insights/books/#inmates].  If you haven't read it,
you really need to read it soon.

<rant>
Linux has a lot going for it, but when we say someone can't do something
because they're not that technical is a huge red flag.  When developers are
writing these apps, they should make it work out of the box.  Us technical
types love setting configurations and tweaking, but the average Joe doesn't
even know what "configuration setting" means.

Most of what I've noticed in my own use is that if there's a problem in
Linux, it's a usually a hardware fault or incompatibility. I'll wade through
forums and whatever documentation I can find.  As a last resort, I'll
compile the app manually if it's required.  I love that I have that ability,
but it prevents mainstream adoption if the user thinks they might have to go
to the command line for anything.
</rant>

That said, I usually use Kopete for video.

John

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 8:00 PM, Shawn <sgrover at open2space.com> wrote:

> If I recall, Pidgen doesn't support video chat.  Are there any other decent
> options out there?
>
> The reason I ask is that I helped a friend recently install Ubuntu 8.10.
>  She's not liking it because it has no video chat.  She says she tried
> Kopete but it didn't work.  Sooo, I'm suspecting the problem may be her
> camera, and not Kopete per se.  Or a user issue - she's not THAT
> technical...
>
> What does everyone use for video chatting?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Shawn

John Greep
http://www.johngreep.com