[clug-talk] KUbuntu 9.04

Peter Van den Wildenbergh peter at meta-logica.com
Fri Apr 3 20:19:40 PDT 2009

> In all, I'm rather impressed with Kubuntu 9.04.

Well I am running the bleeding edge 9.04 since begin February, updating
almost daily - sometimes 100+ packages a day ...

Installed it 'fresh' on a Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6850 @ 3.00GHz
with 2GB of memory, dual-head screen using the prop. NVIDIA driver.

Had to recompile the NVIDIA driver a couple times and after every
'major' update I've to run :
update-rc.d -f NetworkManager remove
Otherwise my static IP and br0 don't work.
(Configured a br0: device to bridge eth0 for WInXP running under kvm
WITH usb support!)

Other than that it has been GREAT and VERY FAST.
ext4 helps to get the boot time reduced to just over 20 seconds, without
any further tweaking to speed it up.

There are still some 'issues' with ext4, if you plan on using it use a
UPS, a power recycle might cause major data loss
(Google for it ext4 data-loss, if you want to know more, has something
to do with commit interval being around 30 sec.)

KDE 4.1 was usable, KDE 4.2.2 (latest) is almost perfect.
Still waiting for something that gives me the "current" weather in a
plasma... the lcd weather thingie doesn't really work IMHO...

I've switched the KDE menu to 'classic' view otherwise I have to click
to much.

Audio is still a problem Intel HDA isn't working for me (was working in
the beginning but stopped 2-3 weeks ago)

Kaffeine still doesn't have a version for KDE 4, but VLC is 'okay'

Found some weirdness converting spreadsheets from OO 2.0 to 3.0 (like
zero values displayed / not 'recognized')
but nothing that stopped the show.

My 2 cents too

Peter