[clug-talk] problems with my eee pc

Shawn sgrover at open2space.com
Fri Apr 3 18:51:22 PDT 2009

that suggests your flash drive is not bootable.  This could be as simple
as the "boot flag" needs to be set, or the OS on the drive is not set up
right.

For the boot flag, go into a terminal window, make sure the flash drive
is plugged in.  now type in "sudo fdisk -l".  This will give you a
listing of the known drives/partitions connected to the system.  Find
the one that represents your flash drive - you *should* see an '*' under
the boot column.  If you do, then the OS would seem to not be set up
right - a new install to the flash drive may be in order.  Let us know
if this is the case, there are a few other 'gotchas' that can bite you
there...

If you do not see the * in the boot column for the flash drive, then
take note of which partition would likely be your boot device.  Mine
says "Linux" under the System column and is device /dev/sda1.  Now you
can type in "sudo fdisk /dev/sda" (note that there are no numbers
there).  Then press A to set the boot partition, and W to write the
changes to disk.

Needless to say - be careful - FDISK can do damage to your system if not
used right.  (i.e. remove partitions that are needed, etc.)

Now, try rebooting with the flash drive.  If it still doesn't boot, then
you also have the second issue going.  Again, if that's the case, let us
know...

HTH.

Shawn