[clug-talk] Semi-OT: Experience With GTD

Mark Carlson carlsonmark at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 16:07:03 PST 2008

On 11/11/08, TekBudda <tekbudda at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been feeling extremely overwhelmed by the amount of stuff I have on
> the go both at home & at work & unfortunately I don't see it subsiding for
> some time.
>
>  For that a few other reasons, I am realizing I need to be more proactive &
> try to better and more effectively manage my time & resources.  One of the
> things that I have heard a lot about & am quite curious about is "Getting
> Thing Done" of "GTD."  There is another thing out there called 43 Folders.
> I believe it is related to GTD but I could be wrong.
>
>  What I am wondering is if anyone has had any experience with GTD & the
> various software associated with it.  From what I have found so far there is
> a variety of standalone, plug-ins (Outlook for the most part) &
> web/browser-based solutions.  They come in a variety of prices and licenses
> & for various platforms.
>
>  From what I have researched so far...solutions for Windows are few and far
> between, and anything cross-platform tends to be web/browser-based.  What I
> am ideally looking for is something that is standalone, open source,
> cross-platform (my work network is Windows based).  It doesn't necessarily
> need to be shared or have the ability to sync, but if is does so (either
> through ical or something or a handheld) then even better.
>
>  The closest one I have seen that meets these criteria so far and seems to
> have a good reputation is Chandler.  Anyone have any insights or
> experiences?

My 2 cents:

Flat text files of "ToDo" lists.  One per main project.  Keep
unchecked items at the top and keep the list up to date with plenty of
"one work unit" sized items.  "one work unit" would be appropriate to
the task, about the size that you know you could do it without being
sidetracked too much.

A made-up example:
ToDo:
-----
- Create project hierarchy
- Check in sample code
- Start work on standalone application (update with more ToDo items)

Done:
-----
x Set up Apache
  x Get it configured for SVN
x Set up SVN for project

I then keep all of my relevant ToDo-*.txt files open in tabs in Kate,
and keep them up to date.  I make more smaller items if I feel like I
need more motivation, and larger items if I already have some momentum
and I don't want to get sidetracked by my ToDo list.

It may not work for you, but I just figured I'd throw it out there.

-Mark C.