[clug-talk] Fwd: asus P5Q

Mark Carlson carlsonmark at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 13:11:37 PST 2008

On 11/2/08, Chris q <quilley at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, I attached an IDE cdrom and it immediately happened again..
> here's the /var/log/messages output, I'm hoping you guys can help me figure
> this out.

Posting the entire contents of /var/log/messages is helpful
sometimes... but not right now.  What in /var/log/messages do you
think relates to your problems, and why do you think it has something
to do with your cdrom drive?

I would like to help you solve your problem, but you are missing some
key things here.

1. CLEARLY state your problem.  Include any error messages related to
the problem, no more and no less.  I still don't understand what your
problem and you seem to be withholding information.
2. How are you setting up the software raid?  Describe your steps.
This is often the root cause of Linux problems, misconfiguration,
rather than hardware or software errors.
3. Have you tried setting up a RAID 0 array instead of RAID 5?  Use
two drives instead of all 6.  Maybe one of your drives is bad.

-Mark C.