[clug-talk] Geo-Coordinates & Images

Shawn sgrover at open2space.com
Mon Feb 11 12:59:19 PST 2008

A typical task of a programmer is to take a big picture idea, and break
it into individual steps that can be easily implemented.  What I've seen
of the discussion so far is a confusion of the big picture, and the
individual steps.  For instance.

Big Picture:  You want to upload your pictures to a web site somewhere
and that site will automagically make use of the coordinate data
embedded in the picture to do various things (overlays, etc.)

Individual steps:
- take the picture
- embed the geo coordinates in the picture
- find a web server to store the pics on
- work out an easy way to transfer the pics to the web server
- apply the code on the web server to extract the coordinate data and
create HTML output

Your discussion is all hinging on the second step - embedding the
coordinates.  Until you can make that happen, the rest is pointless.
Knowing the big picture is good, but you still need to solve the details
before it can happen.

As an aside, I can tell you that you're likely looking at a custom web
site, or a custom application.  There might be sites out there that do
this, but to make use of them (or their code), you'll have to conform to
THEIR format requirements (i.e. maybe they aren't using exif....).  This
custom coding/app means that your flikr, facebook, etc, hopes are pretty
much dead in the water - unless you write your own plugin for em.  I
would submit it's probably easier (and better) to create your own web
app that does what you need, and THEN look at integrating with
Facebook/social site.

The code for this type of app wouldn't be tooo hard.  If you were to
assume the data is stored in exif and in a standard format (i.e.
"NORTHING:XXXXXX,EASTING:YYYYYY"), then this data can be parsed out with
a couple lines of code and used to find whatever else you want (Google
Map overlays, etc.).  Regardless though, you have some research ahead of
you.

In terms of logic or those stumper questions, we're here to help out.
But I have enough on my plate that I don't have the time to write code
for you... :)  Google is your friend though.  (here's a link to help get
you started: http://ca3.php.net/exif )

Shawn