[clug-talk] Volunteers for COSSFest

Kin Wong kwong at csa-pdk.com
Fri Oct 19 09:25:30 PDT 2007

Just a heads up - COSSFest is on Oct 27 - that is the following Sat at SAIT.

Just like last year, we are looking for volunteers to help setup, tear
down, make sure that we don't loose any speakers and everyone has a good
time.  We have 4 tracks this year and if you have not signed up for the
event, please do so at www.cosssfest.ca

Mark McNair is the volunteer coordinator this year.  I can forward your
email to him if you are interested.  We are meeting on Thu night next
week - Oct 25 but we have not picked a time.  We have been meeting at 5
but that might be too early for others to get there.  We will keep you
posted.

Second point, Szemir has a number of computers from VFX that he wants
CLUG to showcase with various Linux operating systems.  While the user
groups have a table at the event, we are entitled to have a booth as
well as CLUG is kicking in up to 500 into the event.  No sense in
setting up a booth if we don't have volunteers to man it.  Need a show
of interest by Sunday otherwise the space plan will be finalized without
a CLUG booth.  Just as a comparative, CUUG is just having a table but
COSG (Calgary Open Source Group) is having a  booth.

 From my point of view, I would like to see COSSFest a success and a
booth is a lesser priority.  If we can swing it great, if we can't then
that is alright as well.

Future point of consideration, Nov 6/7 - that is a Tue/Wed, we have been
offered a booth at the Telus Convention Centre (Hi-Tech Career Fair).
Some say too much too soon, but I guess in for an ounce, in for a
pound.  I intend to go, but the scale of what we do will depend on the
level of group participation.  This of course is even further down the
priority list.