[clug-talk] OT: all the network/sys administrator jobs require Windows/AD skills

Gustin Johnson gustin at echostar.ca
Fri Oct 19 01:30:29 PDT 2007

Zuoheng (Rex) wrote:
> I am looking for network/sys admin job opening in Calgary in Monster
> or Workoplis, but I got quite confused about the situation. Almost all

Nothing to be confused about.  Microsoft is dominant here.

> the a network/sys admin jobs require Windows server 2003 and AD

80% of my day is spent working with Windows/AD/Exchange.

> experience. I am wondering whether microsoft totally dominent the
> enterprise market in Calgary? or Oil companys have too much money?

Open Source solutions cost money too.  It is the freedom aspect that I
appreciate.  I would rather that people chose a proprietary solution for
the right reasons, rather than choose an "open" one for the wrong ones.

> How do you guys think about this?

It is what it is.  There are *nix jobs, but you almost always have to
deal with and or integrate with Microsoft at some point.  If you are
looking for network admin or sys admin work, then it is very difficult
to avoid.  Not impossible, just more challenging.

Personally I see the binary black or white paradigm to be limiting and
self defeating.  While it is convenient to be able paint a good vs evil
picture, reality is far more subtle and complex.

> I am going to move to Calgary next week, look forward to join you guys.
> Cheers!

I (and I am sure we) look forward to meeting you.

> Rex Huang

Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)