[clug-talk] Word Documents

bogi khangyi at shaw.ca
Fri Jun 29 08:27:54 PDT 2007

Thinking of your problem, why don,t you use OoO and save your document in rtf
format and change the extension to .doc by hand. The prof will never
notice :-) and your formatting will most likely survive intact. It also helps
to use some standard font types that you would know would be available in
both systems, font replacement is likely the biggest problem when it comes to
formating. You might also want to grab the win32 ttf package from SF,
non-free, but available free of charge , it contains a bunch of fonts. I
think there is a package in both debian and ubuntu that contains equivalent
fonts. Unfortunately , due to the different font names, they will still
suffer from font replacement issues. Now i wonder if font encapsulation is
supported by both OoO and Ms systems, at that, you can just use your free
fonts, and encapsulate them with your document, that should eliminate font
replacement...
Cheers
Szemir