[clug-talk] Did shaw shut down external ports?

Nick Wiltshire nick at customdesigns.ca
Tue Jun 19 18:43:15 PDT 2007

Further clarification...

This does not affect my connection -- I'm not sure if it has to do with my
business account or the fact that I'm on a static IP (they can be had
separately AFAIK). I can send outbound on port 25 no problem.

After I moved at the beginning of may I was briefly on a regular dynamic IP
and it was blocked. THIS is Shaws policy. If you are on a business plan and
your port 25 is being filtered, it's an error and you should call them. If
you need to send out on port 25, get a business connection. If you choose to
use Shaw's server, phone and bitch every time it so much as hesitates. It's
not like they don't have the money to fix it, they just haven't heard enough
whining yet.

The problem Shaw is trying to end is where their entire subnet gets put on an
RBL. That happens because of spam bots, who are almost invariably on a
residential connection. When the subnet gets put on an RBL, being able to
send on port 25 does as much good as being able to drive your car out of the
garage to find out someone put stop sticks on your driveway.