[clug-talk] Copy from terminal to X clipboard Was: Re: Weekly Poll

Mark Carlson carlsonmark at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 15:03:54 PDT 2007

On 6/11/07, Kevin Anderson <kanderson at digital-adrenaline.com> wrote:
> How do I select something though.  Say I have a 50 page text file that
> I'd like to cat, copy and paste.  I can't do that even with this.,
> though this is clearly better than what I do now...

If you wish to copy a program's stdout to the X clipboard, try this:

http://people.debian.org/~kims/xclip/

wget http://people.debian.org/~kims/xclip/xclip-0.08.tar.gz
tar xzvf xclip-0.08.tar.gz
cd xclip
make
echo "test123" | ./xclip
# make install  if you want to...

Now open up an X program and middle click to paste test123 into it!

There are probably other utilities to do this, but this is the first
I've found that still works...

-Mark