[clug-talk] Fight proposal for a Canadian DMCA

David Brewerton dbrewerton at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 10 10:08:00 PST 2007

DMCA is proving to be a huge problem in the US. On top of that, the Federal Liberals already tacked on a surcharge to all media, including CD's, DVD's, hard drives and mp3 players which is supposed to cover any copying and pay the money out to the artists. We've already paid for any copying that's done in Canada and I'm even paying for it on the discs I use at work for my data backup. DMCA has also been broken by various hackers as well and it's causing massive problems with Windows Vista since lots of things won't work. I remember back when Vista was just being released. I went into Staples and the salesman was bragging to me how it was so wonderful and had no problems. I disputed that with him. We went to the demo machine they had running it (HP brand name machine) and we put a brand name Ice Age 2 DVD in it. It promptly failed to run. I just said, "Case Closed". He had no answer.

I've now got my daughters using Macs and one also likes my Ubuntu machine as well.