[clug-talk] Im considering Linux

Simon Wood simon at mungewell.org
Thu Dec 6 14:34:19 PST 2007

Hi Dan,
Don't know why the list rejected your email, I've copied my reply there so that others can add anymore commentary.

Glad to hear that you're liking Linux. For DVD playback you'll need to
get libcss installed, instructions on how to do this can be found here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/7.10/musicvideophotos/C/video.html

You may find that some DVD's are 'broken', deliberately mis-encoded by studios and still won't function (I have one of these).

Regarding video editing, it's 'known' that Linux is weak in this area. Personally I have tried both Kino (would recommend for beginers) and Cinelerra (very powerful, but difficult to get to grips with). If you want to produce DVD slideshows there are a few tools to do that as well.

With Kino you can add still images by inserting a picture (of the right dimensions) and duplicating it over many frames to make a longer scene, the different scenes are then stitched together to make a movie.  There is also a titler plugin to do simple titles. Not sure whether it has change much since I was playing with it about 5 years ago.

Cinelerra has a good set of controls for manipulating still images, you can pan/zoom/rotate/deform/etc images by moving the 'camera' and 'viewport' for a video track. Which can be blended or 'effect'ed with other video/audio tracks.

Nominally the 'voice over' audio track will have to done seperately and then mixed in with the video/original sound.

Personally I like Cinelerra, but a lot of people criticise the UI as being old/clunky.
Cheers,
Simon.