[clug-talk] December CUUG meeting

Kin Wong kwong at csa-pdk.com
Thu Dec 6 09:05:54 PST 2007

My apologies, I inadvertently cutout the details of the meeting for CUUG.

"         December General Meeting

     Moore's Said It Backwards: Why Microsoft is Doomed

         Speaker: Roy Brander

The usual statement of Moore's Law implies that the price paid for
technology always remains the same while the payback expands
exponentially. At a slower rate, however - about a halving per decade -
the amount of the typical "useful" purchase has been going down. It is
now reaching the low hundreds - the same classic "inflection point"
where appliances gain massive market share. In this realm, expensive
software is an untenable business model.

The presentation will be given using a $400 ASUS Eee PC.

Roy Brander, P.Eng. is the Sr. Infrastructure Engineer for Water
Resources, The City of Calgary. He also has a degree in computer science
and began programming on punch cards in 1971. He has owned a VIC-20,
C64, Atari 1040ST, and a forgettable series of i386 boxes, the last
eight years running Linux. He used to rescue old 486 machines to become
OpenBSD firewalls, but now rescues cats.

Please note that this meeting takes place on the /2^nd / Tuesday of the
month, rather than the usual 4^th Tuesday.

       W.R. Castell Central Library

616 Macleod Trail S.E.
Basement meeting room

         5:30 PM, Tuesday, December 11, 2007 /(2^nd Tuesday)/"