[clug-talk] Microcontroller Workshop Sign-up and Information

Mark Carlson carlsonmark at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 19:22:24 PST 2007

Hello all!

I'm looking for responses to see who is interested in attending a
workshop focused on microcontrollers.

I didn't think I would be starting on the microcontroller workshop
until the SBC workshop was done, but it looks like I found a winner
for the hardware for this one already, so I might as well get things
started.

Hardware:
AVR Butterfly - http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/tools_card.asp?tool_id=3146
More info at http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/doc4271.pdf

The cost for the hardware so far is $22.50 + shipping + tax (right
now, anyway) but you will need a serial port (usb->serial is fine) and
a computer (might need to be either Linux or Windows, not sure yet,)
(unless we can get booked into a computer lab to do the workshop.)

Minimal programming experience is required.  You should know how
compiling code works, and not balk at a language you haven't seen
before (might end up doing some ASM, otherwise it will be C.)

Workshop goal:
Introduction to microcontrollers.  Show how the hardware is organized,
and how to write software to interact with the hardware.

Workshop date and time:
Not decided yet.  Probably on a weekend in January or February.  More
details as the date gets closer.

List of features at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVR_Butterfly

- Show:
--- how microcontrollers work
--- what kind of things they can do (DIO/ADC/etc.)
--- much of the contents of the users guide

- Do:
--- minimal changes to the existing code
--- maybe write new code? ideas?

-Mark C.