[clug-talk] External Tape Backup

Shawn sgrover at open2space.com
Tue Oct 24 09:40:42 PDT 2006

Limited exp with tape drives here, but....

Wouldn't the drive simply appear as another device (/dev/sda1 maybe? -
dmesg will tell you for sure).  If that's the case wouldn't a command
something like this work:

tar cvf /dev/sda1 /home/myfiles/*

Note the destination file argument is the tape device - change this as
needed...

There's lots of help online for tar and tape drives.  I got the above
from this page: http://www.hsrl.rutgers.edu/ug/tape.html

HTH

Shawn