[clug-talk] Disk Space Discrepancy

William Astle lost at l-w.ca
Tue Oct 10 19:59:12 PDT 2006

Jon wrote:
> A quick one...
>
> Does anyone know why a du -sh /home/jdw shows 21GB but a right-click on
> my home directory on Nautilus shows 16.7GB?
>
> I know the 'du' is an estimate, but that's off by quite a bit. Unless
> I'm misusing it or something?

"du" will count all the files and folders, including the "hidden" ones
that start with a ".". Nautilus probably isn't counting those.

There can be quite a lot of space slurped up by the firefox cache, for
example, among other things.

--
William Astle
finger lost at l-w.ca for further information

Geek Code V3.12: GCS/M/S d- s+:+ !a C++ UL++++$ P++ L+++ !E W++ !N w---
!D !M PS PE V-- Y+ PGP t+@ 5++ X !R tv+@ b+++@ !DI D? G e++ h+ y?