[clug-talk] OT: vpn

Shawn sgrover at open2space.com
Wed May 31 15:57:12 PDT 2006

On Wednesday 31 May 2006 09:47, Ian Bruseker wrote:
> You're most likely not going to be able to use the out-of-the-box
> Windows VPN software, and the first link details a way of doing it
> that also requires installing new VPN software on the IPCop box.
>
> Ian

I've had better luck NOT connecting VPN directly to IPCop (for roadwarriors).
In this case I set up the VPN server on the Windows platform, and just
forwarded the pertinent ports to that box (don't remember off the top of my
head, but a google search will find the necessary ports).  This works great,
and I've had no complaints yet.

OTH - I would prefer to setup a pure FOSS solution - but the customer in
question only runs Linux for the IPCop box, and it's just not worth the time
to figure out how to get it sorted out.

Now, a router to router connection is a different story, and I haven't had to
do that yet, but know other's on the list are doing this between IPCOP and
other IPCop boxes as well as SonicWall firewalls.  Not that I would ever buy
SonicWall - I had one of their tier 1 techs try to tell me that TCP/IP worked
differently in Canda, amoung other bad experiences. (though those might be
isolated cases...)