[clug-talk] automating password changes

Mitchell Brown mbgb14 at gmail.com
Wed May 31 14:34:33 PDT 2006

I actually used to do that.
I would prefix them with whatever it happened to be "msn1234", or
"scotiaonline1234" or "email1234"
.. It got to be a huge pain in the butt though because at that time I was
using just 4 numbers for my password, and often I did not meet the minimum
length reqs.

On 5/31/06, Tek Budda <TekBudda at shaw.ca> wrote:

> Brad Camroux wrote:
> > On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 02:55:39PM -0600, Neil Bower wrote:
> >> Create about 3 or 4 different passwords. Then use password "a" for
> website
> >> logins where confidential info isn't a concern. Use password "b" for
> your
> >> personal login, use password "c" for root logins, etc.  This way you
> only
> >> need to remember about 3 or 4 passwords and it becomes pretty obvious
> where
> >> you would use each.
>
> As a variation on the above, you could always make subtle changes to the
> password based on what it is accessing.  For example, you could a a base
> password of "basepassword" for your various services.  The password for
> your MySQL could be "basemysqlpassword" or something of that ilk.

pub 1024D/9091C422 02/05/2006 Mitchell Brown <mbgb14 at gmail.com>
    Primary key fingerprint:  812B 94BC EA0D 345A CC1C 2ED9 F7F6 5CCF 9091
C422