[clug-talk] smb4k for ftp/nfs

Gustin Johnson gustin at echostar.ca
Wed May 31 11:50:42 PDT 2006

Well, I put entries in /etc/fstab that look like this:
//midwinter/files /opt/midwinter cifs
noauto,credentials=/root/.smbpassword

I use no auto because this is my laptop, and so I usually do not have
direct access to the box.

To mount, I simply type, mount /opt/midwinter
et voila, the share is now mounted.

The long version of this:
mount -t cifs //host/share /mount/point -o username=user,password=password

Also the numeric IDs of my username match across all systems

CIFS is what MS now uses (server 2003 has dropped SMB support in the
default install).  You can use -t smb if you are connecting to old
machines (ie win9x, NT).

Mitchell Brown wrote:
> [...]
> like any other partition, in this case the partition does not happen to
> be local.  To make a long story short, given the way NFS works, it
> makes
> an smb4k-like application pointless.
>
> Samba is a big topic.  I have just bought the "Samba-3 By Example" book
> (ISBN 0-13-188221-x) because I don't know enough about it, and I use it
> everyday.
>
> Anyway, samba can be configured to be a PDC, member of a domain, or just
> a computer with some shares.  This is the short short version.  All you
> should need to do is smbpasswd -a username to create a user with a
> password.  Then all you have to worry about is the usual user/file
> permissions.
>

> Mitchell Brown wrote:
>> Thanks Gustin :) Always a pleasure to read your responses :)
>> I guess I can use Samba, yeah, but, just for future reference, is
> there
>> something like this for FTP at all?
>
>> PS: I'm not sure how to setup usernames and passwords for
>> files/folders/printers/resources on my box. Do I need a "Primary
> domain
>> controller" to do that? Sounds expensive :-/
>
>> On 5/28/06, *Gustin Johnson* <gustin at echostar.ca
> <mailto:gustin at echostar.ca>
>> <mailto:gustin at echostar.ca <mailto:gustin at echostar.ca>>> wrote:
>
>> Mitchell Brown wrote:
>>> Hi,
>
>>> I was wondering, what is (if any) the equivalent of smb4k for FTP and
>>> NFS mounts?
>>> I want to connect my server to my workstation under
>> /home/mbrown/srv and
>>> then
>>> tell Picasa and Amarok to scan that folder (as I store all my
>> music and
>>> stuff on the
>>> server). Sure, I could use Samba, but I find it. Well. Windows-ish.
>>> Slow. Insecure.
>>> Lack of configurability (is that a word?).
>
>>> Thanks.
>
>> Actually I use samba for exactly this purpose, mostly because it is
>> *more* secure and reliable than NFS.  Also NFS has issues over a
>> wireless network whereas samba (CIFS) just flies.  NFS can be made to
>> run over TCP, which helps improve performance over a wireless
> link, but
>> in my tests it has a higher CPU load and lower actual throughput
>> than samba.
>
>> There is a more secure derivative of NFS called sfs, but I found samba
>> easier to configure and deploy.
>
>> Also, the convenience  of having the odd Windows box mount shares is
>> nice too (I use Linux almost everywhere I have a choice, except on one
>> machine).

>> --
>> pub 1024D/9091C422 02/05/2006 Mitchell Brown < mbgb14 at gmail.com
> <mailto:mbgb14 at gmail.com>
>> <mailto:mbgb14 at gmail.com <mailto:mbgb14 at gmail.com>>>
> Primary key fingerprint:  812B 94BC EA0D 345A CC1C 2ED9 F7F6 5CCF

**Please remove these lines when replying