[clug-talk] automating password changes

simon simon at mungewell.org
Wed May 31 11:06:32 PDT 2006

On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 11:42:00AM -0600, Mitchell Brown wrote:
> Definetly - well how about just the local unix passwords for my user and
> root on different boxes? Can that be done?

Yes. But it depends exactly what you want to achieve.

NIS 'Yellow Pages' is the tradional old way, but isn't particularly
secure.

LDAP is a possibility, but you need to either have connectivity to
server or have local servers and sync them.

You could even run a Samba/Domain controller and authenicate against
that (I believe).

If I were you I'd start with google and looking at what PAM supports.
Simon.