[clug-talk] Postix Only Listening on Localhost

Curtis Rempel curtis at enigma-logic.ca
Wed May 31 09:38:27 PDT 2006

On Wednesday 31 May 2006 10:20, Jon wrote:
> Hi Curtis,
>
> > For postfix, try this:
> >
> > # postconf inet_interfaces
> > # postconf -e inet_interfaces=all
> > # postconf inet_interfaces
> > # /etc/init.d/postfix restart
> >
> > The parameter is located in /etc/postfix/main.cf
>
> Yeah - I tried that. I double-checked and did it again when your
> email came in though.
>
> The more I think about it, the more it seems something is wrong.
> For one thing, the /etc/init.d/postfix stop|start processes
> produce no output and complete instantly. That's not very
> deamonly, is it?

Check /var/log/messages (possibly /var/log/maillog) and output from dmesg to
see if there are any clues.

> Second, the line I'm seeing in my netstat:
>
> tcp 0 0 localhost:smtp *:* LISTEN 1 3150/sendmail: MTA
>
> Is bugging me. I think I'm getting confused between smtp and

You'd mentioned postfix so I didn't make any comment on the "sendmail" above.
Perhaps you've got sendmail running instead of postfix and don't realize it?
When you

# telnet localhost 25

what is in the banner?

If sendmail is running, have a look at /etc/mail/sendmail.mc for something
like:

DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl

and then

# cd /etc/mail
# cp sendmail.cf sendmail.cf.bak
# m4 sendmail.mc > sendmail.cf
# /etc/init.d/sendmail restart

or maybe you want postfix instead of sendmail?

> smtpd. If I want to connect to this machine from KMail on another
> machine, isn't it smtpd that I need running and not smtp? In which
> case, the problem isn't that smtp isn't listening on the right
> port, it's that smtpd doesn't appear to be running at all.
>
> Confuzzled....so confuzzled....

Curtis Rempel, RHCE, RHCX, LPIC-1, LPIC-2
Enigma Logic Inc.
www.enigma-logic.ca
curtis at enigma-logic.ca
403.804.8633

GPG Fingerprint: 55C5 AA26 6E0C 4C43 F004  B6DF 99CA 7745 DC4C 587D