[clug-talk] Postix Only Listening on Localhost

Jon me at jonwatson.ca
Wed May 31 09:20:22 PDT 2006

Hi Curtis,

> For postfix, try this:
>
> # postconf inet_interfaces
> # postconf -e inet_interfaces=all
> # postconf inet_interfaces
> # /etc/init.d/postfix restart
>
> The parameter is located in /etc/postfix/main.cf

Yeah - I tried that. I double-checked and did it again when your
email came in though.

The more I think about it, the more it seems something is wrong.
For one thing, the /etc/init.d/postfix stop|start processes
produce no output and complete instantly. That's not very
deamonly, is it?

Second, the line I'm seeing in my netstat:

tcp 0 0 localhost:smtp *:* LISTEN 1 3150/sendmail: MTA

Is bugging me. I think I'm getting confused between smtp and
smtpd. If I want to connect to this machine from KMail on another
machine, isn't it smtpd that I need running and not smtp? In which
case, the problem isn't that smtp isn't listening on the right
port, it's that smtpd doesn't appear to be running at all.

Confuzzled....so confuzzled....