[clug-talk] Rethread: Spam

Jon me at jonwatson.ca
Tue May 30 11:40:25 PDT 2006

Laff...nice.

I consider your desire for me to accept any and all incoming email in
the event that someone not on my whitelist wants to get hold of me to be
at least as uppity as you consider my whitelist to begin with.

Apparently we both think our time is too valuable to talk to each other.
I guess the spammers win this one, eh?

In all seriousness, I've used SA before. It's good, but no great shakes.
The problem quite simply is that only *I* know what email I want.
Therefore, the onus is on *me* to decide which email gets through.
Nothing - no machine, application, or other human - is able to
accurately decide what should get through. Therefore, I do it myself by
virtue of a whitelist that provides the means for me to vet my incoming
email on my terms and on my own time.

In the end we all have the right to set the conditions under which we
communicate with each other. I've determined that the best way to manage
my time in my non-stop-email world is through a whitelist. You've
decided that the best way to manage your time is to not waste it by
adding yourself to whitelists. I have no problem with that and I
recognize that many people share your views which is why I actively
manage my whitelist. Since I manage it instead of hiding behind it, I
always get all my mail anyhow, so in the end "there's nothing to see
here". You sent me an email and I got it. The system works.

On the flip-side, I once received an email from someone and when I
replied to it, I was presented with a spam challenge. Now THAT'S an
unmanaged whitelist.