[clug-talk] laptop recommendations

Shawn sgrover at open2space.com
Sun May 28 17:45:13 PDT 2006

On Sunday 28 May 2006 18:08, Mitchell Brown wrote:
> > If you
> > have two partitions, C and D for example, only the C partition will be
> > rewritten.
>
> As far as I understand, the C can *only* be replaced if its
> size/checksum/appearence is *exactly* that of what it was when it was
> purchased. The technology used to recover the drive is not by Acer, but it
> is actually Norton Ghost (blah!!!). I don't think its possible to restore
> it once you've resized the C:

BZZZTTT!!!  I think this is wrong.  After all, I just recently did an fdisk on
my new Acer and completely wiped the drive.  Created the first partition for
Windows (That's the key - the recovery tool will always install to the first
partition), and then created suitable linux partitions.

Next I restored my system to factory installation of the software, using my
new partitions.  (WORD OF WARNING - boot up the before beginning any of this
- mine didn't come with any media whatsoever, and had to be burned when the
box was installed for the first time).  After testing to make sure Windows
was working fine, I then went ahead and installed Linux (Kubuntu Dapper in
this case).  I made sure that Linux was installed to the non-windows
partition.

I'm happily running with a dual boot, with my own custom hard drive
configuration.  And I have no problems whatsoever that are caused by the
hardware  (other than a very minor glitch in the Intel video settings).  Any
issues I have run into are strictly related to the distribution I choose to
put on there.  So, I can't blame Acer for choices made by Kubuntu.

As for the Norton Ghost comment, again I claim this is wrong.  I replaced a
Toshiba laptop that used Ghost for recovery, and I was able to customize my
drives there as well.  Again though, the Windows partition must be first -
but the size of the partition isn't overly critical as long as it's large
enough to hold the necessary install.

As for the recovery partition, this is but ONE method to handle recovery.  I
personally don't like to waste drive space on something I'm not likely to use
for the life of the computer.  Instead I'd rather recover from a CD/DVD.
Then I can reclaim that space for all my porn.. er.. stolen mp3's.. er no, my
work files.. yeah, that's it....

The partition scheme of any computer when delivered is nothing more than a
recommendation.  For those who do not know what a partition is, this likely
won't matter much.  For those of us who know what we're doing, we're going to
change the recommendation to meet our needs...  But if you don't make your
recovery media first (or have it from the manufacturer), of course you're
going to loose whatever is on the drive.  That's just plain common sense.

How's that saying go?  A good muscian blames his instrument?  I don't think
this applies in the computer world.  Rather I think one who blames hardware
for every issue is not a very experienced mucisian yet.