[clug-talk] Kolab

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat May 27 21:01:51 PDT 2006

On Saturday 27 May 2006 20:40, Jesse Kline wrote:
> I'm working on a kolab installation here, and I have a couple questions.
> First of all, it seems to setup a number of different services (https,
> pop3, smtp, imap, ldap, etc.), and I cannot find any documentation as to
> what ports I should open on my firewall to allow all the services to
> run.

the usual ports are used. nothing out of the ordinary.

> I'm also not sure if the kolab install configured iptables at all
> so that I could run it in a dmz.

kolab doesn't touch the firewall.

> My second question is about a web
> interface. The kolab website says that the horde interface is
> experimental, has anyone tried it?

yes. it works, though it's a little heavy both UI-wise and resource-wise. you
need to really up the maximum memory usage for PHP if you want to use it.
andy (aka akopciuch) has a really nice horde installation script that he's
releasing this week (GPL no less). i'd recommend using that. it eases the
process 110%

> I was thinking of running another OS
> in a VM and either installing horde to connect to the Kolab imap server,
> or the horde web interface for Kolab, although I'm not sure if this can
> run on a separate machine or not.

AFAIK it can run on a separate machine just fine. though i usually run it on
the same machine.

--
Aaron J. Seigo