[clug-talk] Labor Scheduling

Jesse Kline jesse at kline.ca
Thu May 25 11:51:02 PDT 2006

Quoting Carl <ct at turner.ca>:

> Can you be more specific on what features that you are looking for yet
> http://www.tutos.org/ does not have?

While I have a number of requirements for a scheduling solution, one of our big
problems is scheduling relief workers. We currently have 13 departments which
are scheduled manually by the department heads, there is also a lack of
communication between the departments. The idea is to centralize scheduling to
reduce the work load for the coordinators and schedule more efficiently. What I
need the system to do is automatically come up with the best fit for relief
workers when a staff member calls in sick or takes a vacation. The relief worker
would have to be matched up based on three variables, availability, competencies
of the relief worker and needs of the client, as well as location in the city.
The solution would also need to have strong reporting features so that we can
find inefficiencies in our scheduling process. I am very interested in a web
based solution because the system would need to be available 24 hours a day, it
would also be nice to give staff the ability to update their availability from
off-site.

As you can see, I'm looking for something much more complicated than a gannt
chart. I may be able to use project management software, but I would need to
setup something quite complex, and I'm not even sure if this is the right tool
for the job.

Jesse