[clug-talk] IPCop Red interface ip address renewal

Mark Carlson carlsonmark at gmail.com
Thu May 25 09:14:36 PDT 2006

On 5/25/06, Dave Watkins - CLUG <President at clug.ca> wrote:
> Hmmmmmm…..
>
> If you can give me a valid reason why I would want to change the license
> plate number on my car I'll tell you how to change your MAC address.
>
> I haven't thought of one.

I wrote this before, but it was slightly too off-topic until now.

I know this is not exactly about license plates, but here goes:

If someone else had the same license plate, you'd want to change yours
so nobody confused the both of you. :-)

I know two people who have had duplicate MAC addresses cause
hair-pulling-network-debugging-madness.  One, several years ago,
bought some NICs off of eBAY from different locations (east and west
coast USA, IIRC.)  When he plugged them in, they had the same MAC
address and wouldn't work.

The other purchased >20 wireless APs locally and when he went to set
up the network for one of his clients two of the APs wouldn't work
properly... because they had the same MAC address.

So there you have it, not specifically a reason to change your license
plate, but a very valid reason as to why MAC addresses are, and should
be, changeable.

-Mark