[clug-talk] deb questions

Mitchell Brown mbgb14 at gmail.com
Thu May 25 07:44:05 PDT 2006

> >      - When I try to do update-rc.d vsftpd start,
> >         - And connect to localhost,
>
> Likely what you are looking for is something like:
> /etc/init.d/vsftpd start

Thanks, that worked with no complaints, however the connection is still
refused from either the localhost or another machine :-/
I've checked /etc/vsftpd.conf and its all setup properly.

Check your repository.  I have no idea what Kanotix uses, but likely it
> has aptitude which can be run from the command line.
> aptitude search screensaver
> aptitude install <package name>

They use just the plain old Debian repos. And aptitude is command not found
:P

Actually this is not the case.  Update-rc.d only deals with setting up
> the startup scripts to run at boot time (well technically scripts can be
> run in any runlevel, but I am guessing that you do not know much about
> init yet... man init if you are curious, )

I know that the kernel has runlevels. 5 is the normal one, 3 is a terminal,
6 is reboot, 1 is basically like a safemode root console, and I forget the
others. I know in RH you use "chkconfig --add vsftpd" or whatever to add
them to the runlevel(s). But I dunno how to do it in Debian ... is that what
init is for?

On 5/25/06, Gustin Johnson <gustin at echostar.ca> wrote:

pub 1024D/9091C422 02/05/2006 Mitchell Brown <mbgb14 at gmail.com>
    Primary key fingerprint:  812B 94BC EA0D 345A CC1C 2ED9 F7F6 5CCF 9091
C422