[clug-talk] IPCop Red interface ip address renewal

Shawn sgrover at open2space.com
Thu May 25 00:58:24 PDT 2006

If you don't have a static IP, then you may need to tell the IPCop box to
release/renew if/when the red interface IP changes.

I've heard of people writing simple bash scripts to periodically ping an
external location, and when they no longer get a response from there the
script then get's a new IP address (release./renew via dhcpclient, or
whatever tool IPCop is using...)  So, scripts like this should be available
online, or there might be an addon for this type of thing.

But note that while you are disrupting your connection for a moment when you
need to get a new IP, you do not have to reboot the box.  But that's usually
the easiest way to explain/trigger the process for someone who isn't
technically oriented....

My thoughts...

shawn