[clug-talk] deb questions

Mitchell Brown mbgb14 at gmail.com
Wed May 24 21:49:32 PDT 2006

Hi, I've been using Kanotix lately, and I'm used to RH systems (PCLinuxOS
(Mandriva), SuSE, etc). Here's a little list of querks I've come up with
hoping you guys can help me with

   - I've discovered the Debian equivelant of chkconfig is update-rc.d,
   but
      - When I try to do update-rc.d vsftpd start,
         - And connect to localhost,
         - Connection refused
         - How do I do a restart command with it?
      - How do I make something autostart on boot with it?
   - Where do I get screensavers?!
   - SSHd doesn't work. I push "Start SSH Server" in the Kanotix menu,
   but, when I try and connect from my network machine
      - [mbrown at brown2 ~]$ ssh 192.168.1.101
      @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
      @    WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED!     @
      @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
      IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOMEONE IS DOING SOMETHING NASTY!
      Someone could be eavesdropping on you right now
      (man-in-the-middle attack)!
      It is also possible that the RSA host key has just been changed.
      The fingerprint for the RSA key sent by the remote host is
      b4:3d:be:37:5e:a2:4e:0b:8f:94:9f:c7:bd:63:9c:f8.
      Add correct host key in /home/mbrown/.ssh/known_hosts to get rid
      of this message.
      Offending key in /home/mbrown/.ssh/known_hosts:2
      Password authentication is disabled to avoid man-in-the-middle
      attacks.
      Keyboard-interactive authentication is disabled to avoid
      man-in-the-middle attacks.
      X11 forwarding is disabled to avoid man-in-the-middle attacks.
      Permission denied (publickey,password,keyboard-interactive).
      [mbrown at brown2 ~]$
      - I don't know how to make FTPd or SSHd start on boot
   - I can't get NX Server to work either :-/

So if someone could walk me through these, or point me in the right
direction, kudos!

--
pub 1024D/9091C422 02/05/2006 Mitchell Brown <mbgb14 at gmail.com>
    Primary key fingerprint:  812B 94BC EA0D 345A CC1C 2ED9 F7F6 5CCF 9091