[clug-talk] Freifunk (wireless mesh) in Calgary

Kin Wong kwong at csa-pdk.com
Wed May 24 16:17:01 PDT 2006

Darren L wrote:

> http://www.memoryexpress.com/index.php?PageTag=&page=file&memx_menu=EmbedProductDetail.php&DisplayProductID=2046&SID=
> <http://www.memoryexpress.com/index.php?PageTag=&page=file&memx_menu=EmbedProductDetail.php&DisplayProductID=2046&SID=>
>
> memory express carries the rebate.
>
>     >
>     > Will it work on a Linksys WKPC54G -- I just picked on up as it comes
>     > with a wireless card for 130.  Who currently carries the Linksys
>     WRT54G
>     > with the rebate -- when I was looking for a replacement last week, I
>     > didn't see any rebates.
>
>     Unfortunately this router is not flashable with community code:
>     http://www.seattlewireless.net/WRK54G

<snip>

Thanks to all concern -- Staples also carries the Linksys WRT54g but the
pricing on the shelf was not updated.  There is a 20 instant discount
and a 20 mail in with the same resulting price.

I bought the Linksys WKPC54g from Staples so it made sense for me to go
back there.

One thing I notice in my testing today, the WRT54g has two antennaes
while the WKPC54g has only one.  At about 100 feet away, I got 1-2 bars
on the WRT54g while only 0-1 bars on the WKPC54g - so 2 antennae is better.